When life gives you lemons, make this ultra zesty lemon tart with the easiest-ever ginger crust!
Mele Kalikimaka! Right now, life is giving me the opposite of lemons as Derek and I have escaped dreary, slush-covered Vancouver for Christmas in Maui! D’s parents are “snowbirds” and live in Maui “from when the leaves fall to when the cherry blossoms in Vancouver bloom”. Not a bad idea if you ask me.
This morning, I noticed a bunch of lemons on the ground in the garden and found that the tree there was basically falling over with massive lemons. I knew I had to make something special with them for our Christmas Eve celebrations tonight.
This lemon and ginger tart is one of the easiest baked goods out there. When I first started baking, I always thought that tarts must be complicated because they just look so fancy and delicate! However this lemon tart has 8 ingredients and takes only a few minutes to prepare.
Basically, you dump all the ingredients for the dough in a food processor. Then press the dough into a tart plan, and shove it in the oven. Meanwhile, you whisk all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl, and pour that into the tart. Bake, and Voila! your tart is picture perfect and delicious with limited skill involved (an essential for a lazy island holiday afternoon).
Lemon and Ginger Tart with Sugar-Dough Crust
- ¾ cup room temperature butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla (extract)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ¾ cup al-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon freshly-grated ginger
Lemon and Ginger Filling
- 3/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (~2-3 lemons)
- 4 eggs (large)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a stand mixer (paddle attachment) or food processor, fully combine butter, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, ginger, and salt. Add flour and mix until dough is smooth. Press the dough into a 9 inch tart pan
- Bake crust 15 mins, until light golden brown.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, zest, sugar, eggs, and 1/2 cup flour until smooth. Pour this filling into the hot crust.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until filling is set.
- Allow to cool in the refrigerator.