Seriously delicious mulled wine that isn’t too sweet but is packed full of spicy, citrus-y goodness. Perfect for cozying up by the fire, it tastes like a warm hug for your soul.
Baby it’s cold outside! My exams are over (THANKFULLY), we are on day 7 of constant rain, and I have completely devoted my life to Christmas prep (namely holiday baking – recipes to come).
A few things you should know about me:
- I love wine (some would maybe argue that I love it too much)
- I think slow cookers are magic appliances sent from heaven
- I LOVE CHRISTMAS
So put these things together and you end up with a fantastic mulled wine recipe to enjoy on a wintery evening by the fire.
My first time enjoying mulled wine was actually in Germany. Derek was doing a semester abroad in Switzerland, and I went for a visit in early December. We crossed over into Germany and went to an amazing Christmas market in Konstanz. We spent the evening walking around with our mugs of hot, spiced wine, munching on chirsmtas goodies. It was the best. Now, whenever winter rolls around, I crave a good hot cup of mulled wine to fight the cold.
I love this mulled wine recipe because its not too sweet (about half the sugar of a typical recipe). I think this makes it taste more authentic, and lets be honest, there are no shortages of other sweet treats this time of year! I also put lots of different spices in it, because spiced mulled wine is the best mulled wine. Savoury spices like bay leaves and peppercorns add a bit more depth of flavour. Some mulled wine recipes have brandy or other liqueurs in them, but I love the idea of just taking a $12 bottle of wine (no need to be a big spender here) and turning it into something delicious (not that it wasn’t probably pretty good to begin with).
Slow Cooker Mulled-Wine
Slow Cooker Mulled Wine
- 1 bottle of red wine (fruity but not too sweet)
- 1 large naval orange
- 1 bay leaf (fresh if possible)
- 4 cinnamon sticks (plus 2-4 extra for garnish)
- 4 star anise
- 2-4 whole black peppercorns
- 12 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Slice orange into rounds 0.5-1 cm thick
- Empty the bottle of red wine into the slow cooker
- Add the orange slices, all of the spices, and brown sugar.
- Set slow cooker to LOW and forget about it for 2-3 hours