This creamy, roasted butternut squash soup is decadent, vegan, and full of cozy goodness! It’s coconut based, flavoured with roasted apples, onions, maple syrup, ginger, and sage. Top it with spicy candied cumin squash seeds and enjoy!
So it finally feels like winter here in Vancouver now. After an incredibly sunny fall, the rainy days and overall dreariness has definitely set in. Not to mention, I have four final exams in the next week! So this butternut squash soup recipe is a super great, easy, and warming meal (and writing it is part of my procrastination).
Butternut squash soup is an absolute classic and one of my fall favourites. It just tastes like cold weather and curling up by the fireplace (in my case with a mountain of pharmacology textbooks – ugh). Its also super easy to make! I feel like soup is something people find daunting to make, but this recipe is so simple and better than anything you can get at the store.
Ginger and sage are an awesome combination. They, along with the roasted apples and maple syrup for a bit of sweetness, are really great with the butternut squash. Finally, who doesn’t love a little crunch with their soup? Fun fact: when Derek and I were travelling in South America, we were surprised to see that soup their is often topped with popcorn! But butternut squash is filed with the perfect topper for the soup, and I love a some spice as well as texture, so I roasted the seeds with cumin, brown sugar, and cayenne. The whole recipe is super easy and flavourful, so enjoy!
Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger and Sage
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 medium apple (ambrosia or gala)
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped sage
- 1 inch chunk of ginger (peeled)
- 1 tablespoon oil (of choice, I like avocado oil best)
Candied Cumin Squash Seeds
- Seeds from 1 butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Preheat oven to 375˚
- Peel butternut squash, cut in half, and scoop out the seeds (save for later). Chop the squash, apple, and onion into large chunks. Place with the ginger on a large baking tray, and douse with oil. Salt and pepper generously.
- Roast squash, onion, apple, and ginger for 45 mins.
- Meanwhile, wash the squash seeds until clean and dry with a paper towel. Toss with oil, sugar, spices, and salt and pepper. Place in oven for 15 mins.
- Remove the squash, apples, ginger, and onion from the oven and place in a blender with a can of coconut milk, maple syrup, and sage.
- Blend with a small opening in the lid of the blender to prevent pressure from building up.
- Serve and top with pumpkin seeds and chopped sage!
Enjoy my friends! Stay warm out there!