Step up your breakfast game with these super easy and delicious prosciutto cups filled with sautéed mushrooms, pesto, and a perfectly cooked egg.
Who doesn’t love breakfast?! No matter how early I have to get up, I always make sure I have time to make a yummy breakfast, sit down with a cup of coffee, and enjoy. I can’t start my day with out a quiet half-hour of doing nothing other than eating something wholesome and warming. My boyfriend Derek and I often have totally different schedules, but we make sure to have at least one sit down meal together per day. Often, this ends up being breakfast!
These prosciutto cups are essentially bacon and eggs, in a fun little mushroom and pesto filed package. They are super filling and flavourful. The salty prosciutto, bright pesto, and earth mushrooms are all held together by and egg, baked in the oven. My favourite pesto (when I am not using homemade) is actually the Kirkland brand from Costco. It’s really fresh tasting and not too oily, plus the colour is nice and bright like when you make it yourself!
I made these prosciutto morning because I needed a few minutes to clean up Derek’s and my bedroom. Unlike most breakfast recipes, this is one you can completely leave alone to cook for 20 mins, giving you a perfect window to get a chore done (or watch an episode of The Office).
While this recipe is based on serving two people, these prosciutto egg-cups would be perfect to do for a breakfast or brunch for several more people. Breakfasts are always a challenge in large quantities, but these would be no problem since you can just assemble these in muffin trays and throw in the oven all together.
Prosciutto Egg Cups with Pesto and Mushrooms
- 6 eggs
- 6 pieces of prosciutto
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚C.
- Sauté mushrooms with olive oil and black pepper (to taste) in a small sauté pan on med-high until they are soft and caramelized (about 3 mins)
- Arrange a slice of prosciutto in a non-stick muffin cup so that it lines the cup with as few gaps as possible. Repeat with all slices of prosciutto
- In the bottom of each cup, place about a teaspoon of pesto and a 2 tablespoons of cooked mushrooms.
- Carefully crack an egg into each of the cups. Top with black pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins.
- Remove from muffin tin, and enjoy!
And there we have it, a super simple, very adaptable recipe that is brunch friendly and oh so decadent. Enjoy!